Re: [IP] Food for Thought (was:"discrimination" at school)

In a message dated 4/26/01 10:02:42 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< One of the things that struck me about Gina's incident is that

substitutes often DON'T have sufficient facts available to make a quick,

correct decision. One thing that you could do is have a "sub-note"

prepared and given to the teacher to leave on her desk, AND to the

office to include in the sub folder <snip>

The sub may have been told that Gina had diabetes, but probably didn't

know what a sudden hypo was, and how dangerous it could be. I can tell

you *I* didn't know it until I developed diabetes myself, and started

studying it in detail.

Another thing I feel is important is to train your child that having

diabetes should NEVER be a secret -- if Gina's classmates had known what

was going on, I'm pretty sure they would have done something about it.

I've been teaching high school for 15 years, and I've seen kids come to

the aid of others NUMEROUS times, and stand up very strongly for their

rights and needs.

Do remember that a sub hasn't had the time to read your child's 504, may

not even know that the child has one, and almost certainly knows nothing

about diabetes.>>

These seem to me to be very good suggestions -- I have done a little informal
substituting, and my daughter did it formally one year, and I heartily agree
that formal papers (like 504s) are unlikely to be read (or even known about)
by the sub.  Since the sub may not have any contact with the teacher and the
teacher may be home when she realizes she needs a sub, maybe the students
(particularly any with special needs) should be trained at the beginning of
the year to show the sub the suggested "sub-note" at the beginning of any
class when a sub shows up?  (If this is the case, of course, the paper has to
be written to look very important with large letters telling the sub to read
it immediately, which would of course mean concise wording would be required.)

I wish somebody had done this in Gina's situation, but of course Gina herself
at the age of 10 couldn't be expected to, and probably her parents (and her
medical people for that matter) didn't know enough themselves to think of it.
 That is one of the really big advantages of a group like this -- that the
parents who are reading this (who of course are a pretty selective group
<gr.>) can talk about ways to fulfill this function for their children.

Linda Z