Re: [IP] Food for Thought (was:"discrimination" at school)

Vixen wrote:
> Sammi
> (one of those #(%JR$^&"}UI#!)@_ teachers who has to enforce policies she
> doesn't exactly agree with, on a daily basis)

I'm a teacher too, and sometimes I feel that my conscience requires me
to violate some of the rules. And sometimes the rationale needs to be
don't ask, don't tell, and it's easier to ask for forgiveness than
permission. (Although that doesn't apply to Ryan's case). If I feel I
cannot obey a rule, I just don't. (Civil disobedience, ala Mahatma

One of the things that struck me about Gina's incident is that
substitutes often DON'T have sufficient facts available to make a quick,
correct decision. One thing that you could do is have a "sub-note"
prepared and given to the teacher to leave on her desk, AND to the
office to include in the sub folder -- because you can pretty much
expect a person who has never really dealt with childhood diabetes to
know the consequences of a decision such as Gina's substitute made.

The sub may have been told that Gina had diabetes, but probably didn't
know what a sudden hypo was, and how dangerous it could be. I can tell
you *I* didn't know it until I developed diabetes myself, and started
studying it in detail.

Another thing I feel is important is to train your child that having
diabetes should NEVER be a secret -- if Gina's classmates had known what
was going on, I'm pretty sure they would have done something about it.
I've been teaching high school for 15 years, and I've seen kids come to
the aid of others NUMEROUS times, and stand up very strongly for their
rights and needs.

Do remember that a sub hasn't had the time to read your child's 504, may
not even know that the child has one, and almost certainly knows nothing
about diabetes.
As Sara Smarty Pants would say -- be loud, be proud, be bumpy!!!!!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted