[IP] What I sent this afternoon

(okay, gang, here's what I sent earlier this afternoon [the subject line read:
more about Ryan]:)

Dear Sir,
If you had a pacemaker, how comfortable would you be if you were required to
turn it off or somehow disengage it for certain situations - perhaps to please
superiors' whims?

Everyone has insulin - either produced naturally or injected/infused. No one
can live without it. Having Type ! Juvenile Diabetes is a tricky balance of
the proper amount of insulin to cover the carbs eaten, as well as the balance
of consistent exercise (brain activity, emotions, walking, waiting, etc.). A
blood glucose (BG) level can change in 10 minutes. When certain activities
(mostly unexpected - life's like that) cause a BG to drop, instant carbs are
essential to survival. I was taught a half century ago to ALWAYS carry some
kind of instant glucose on my person - candy, lifesavers, dextrose tabs,
honey, etc. for low BG occasions. This avoids, many times, a call to 9-1-1.

Withholding the required life tools from someone whose body doesn't function
the way it is expected such as Ryan's is tantamount to turning off a pacemaker
because an uneducated (in this field), non-medical person/persons is/are
unaware of the situation.

Ryan should be HONORED, not dishonored, for not only being an excellent
student, but coping with a life without a correctly-functioning pancreas that
is a very high stressor that causes life-long bouts of depression. His teen
years - especially hard for anyone - should be looked back upon as
*accomplishment in spite of* diabetes.

Mary Tyler Moore, Catfish Hunter, Gary Hall (the Olympic swimmer), Halle
Barry, Jean Smart, and many other successful people have dealt with this
problem that will not go away. Please, please, do some simple research and
reconsider pats, not pans, for this young man who seems to be overcoming a
lifestyle he did not choose.

I am sure the American Diabetes Association as well as the Juvenile Diabetes
Research Foundation will be interested in the outcome of this *event.*

Jan Hughey, Type 1 DM since 11/5/50
Job 10:12   http://maxpages.com/bludasue

BTW, I would suggest anyone else sending letters, PLEASE proofread outloud for
punctuation and spelling. Educators, it would seem, should take more notice
with it done properly. YMMV (~_^)

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.