[IP] Home Meters ?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 email @ redacted wrote:

>I'm curious though as to when home
>meters became a common tool in self-management?  Have you had them since
>early days of pumping?  Or did your pumping pioneers have to almost "fly
>blind" in those days?

I remember getting some sort of 'sight' strips about six months prior to
getting a pump
and getting an AMES DEXTROMETER (a large black blood strip reading machine)
at about the
same time I got my pump.  As I am almost completely colorblind the
Dextrometer was a

I know that dextrostrips existed back when I was a kid in camp (must have
been around '64 or '65 when I first went) and that the camp had a HUGE HUGE
AMES dextrometer that read them (I just remember a machine about the size of
a pc with a large dial which indicated glucose level).

The old strips were a bleed and wash type (the meter told you when to put
the blood on the strip and when to wash it off.  Meter then read the
'cleaned' strip for color).