[IP] Common use of home meters

Lyndy wrote:
>>>  I'm curious though as to when home meters became a common tool in
self-management?  Have you had them since the early days of pumping?  Or did
your pumping pioneers have to almost "fly blind" in those days?> > >

Did I hear you call my name? (I, too, liked that drunken analogy for control.)
The first home meter I saw was in the late '70s - I turned around and walked
away with NO interest whatsoever. I couldn't figure why I'd want to poke my
own fingers. Since I got a *death sentence* in '50, what would this prove? It
would only confirm the orange pee tests.

When my endo wanted me in his *trial* group on a pump in '82 (took me a year
to decide if I wanted to wear a checkbook box-size pump) he taught us to use
Exac-Tech Chemstrip Bg's and cut them in half (I did 1/3s) to save $$. We did
a colorchart comparison on the side of the container. He said, "If you read it
as 200, and it's actually 186, what are you going to do about it anyway?
Nothing."  And that statement stuck with me until I got on the 'net 2 yrs. ago
and learned YOU DO TOO do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! (those are for Gina

My first 10 years of pumping, insulin was delivered in whole units only and
for someone very sensitive, one unit might be overkill - since then we get
0.1u delivery.

To get on a pump back then there were 3 requirements: afford it (ins.),
intelligence, willing to do 4 BGs a day.  Home testing seemed to coincide with
pumping - we could not have done it without the *instant* knowledge. I was
given some meters and donated them to a health agency cuz that meant I'd have
to use a whole strip and couldn't cut it to save $$. I stuck with the visual
strips for several years.

BTW, a year or so later I was told to do only 3 BGs a day, skip around on the
times. Once my basal was set that first 3 months (yes, the pumps then had only
one basal rate) it was considered to be your rate for life.  I have learned so
much from the 'net about pumping! Over the 2 years I've been on the 'net, my
A1c's have been in the low 6's. I might have been better off if I'd been kept
up to date as more knowledge came about instead of kept in the guinea pig
stage. Being congratulated for an 8.2% wasn't realistic (down from 11.5); I
should have been worked with, and taught carb counting to meet the eat. (~_^)