Re: [IP] Rosie and Suzanne Summers

wombn wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2001, at 22:12, email @ redacted wrote:
> > because of that reason, the body has turned on itself and is 'eating'
> > it's own fat supply.
> um.......  isn't that the point of losing weight?

Yes, and there is a world of difference between ketosis and

Ketosis is what occurs in people who are not getting enough food to
sustain their energy needs. Of course the body burns fat, but it also
burns muscle, and does produce ketones. Ketones are used to provide
energy for the body in the absence of either enough glucose, OR in the
absence of enough insulin.

In a person with normal pancreatic function, the risk of ketosis is
that, if it proceeds far enough, the person will become severely
weakened, and will eventually die if there is no muscle and fat left to
burn. I think the immune system suffers too. But the pancreas does
produce enough insulin to keep the ketosis limited, and it's not an
IMMEDIATE threat -- rather an adaptive mechanism in case of starvation
emergency. It takes a long time to die of starvation.

KetoACIDosis, on the other hand, occurs when there is not enough insulin
in the body, and is the end product of runaway ketosis. It's the point
where the ketones build up so massively in the body that it changes the
pH of the blood, which eventually becomes too acidic to support life.
The heavy breathing and peeing and vomiting are ways the body tries to
get rid of the overload, but it's not enough (like emptying the ocean
with a thimble!) and the electrolytes in the blood go out of balance
because of the acid, and this results in organ malfunction, damage and

This process can proceed extremely quickly in someone who has no beta
cell function at all, and is why it's an emergency when you detect
ketones in your urine. Of course, the treatment is insulin, but if the
ketoacidosis is severe, you may need rehydration AND replacement of
electrolytes. DKA can still kill.

Fortunately, most established Type 1's can recognize the symptoms and
get help when needed, but DKA is very dangerous in children who have not
yet been diagnosed, and whose parents may not know what it is or what to
do about it. It's tragic when that happens!

Anyway, enough of the rambling -- back to work!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted