Re: [IP] Mom's reactions to my pregnancy

Sherry -
I was diagnosed in 1974 when i was 7 yrs old and I have a very vivid memory
of my mom and doctor whispering in the corner of the hospital room when my
mom asked about having children. and of course I paid more attention and
the doctor was definitely saying not to plan on grandkids. I don't know
when you were diagnosed, but when I was diagnosed home glucose monitors
weren't around  - we checked out control via glucose spillingin the urine,
it was standard to be on only two injections a day, and there wasn't a
Hba1c test either.  I can understand why in those circumstances doctors
cautioned against diabetic pregnancies, even though there are many many
diabetic women who got pregnant and had kids even with such crude and
limited treatments.
Unfortunately it sounds like your mom was never able to get it out of her
head and didn't realize that with all the advances diabetic women today are
very successful at having healthy babies.
But I can undetstand your being terribly upset that she told god knows
whok, including your sister in law of all people, and never said a word to
you!  I assume she wanted to protect you when you were younger, and then
figured the docs would discuss it with you once you got "old enough".

I haven't seen a response since your pregnancy worries post, which I just
read. I am wodnering if you are in the hospital? I had pre-eclampsia with
both my girls, and was in the hospital for a week with both while they
tried to let them incubate in me a little longer.   You are far enough
alonng that if you do have preeclampsia and have to be induced the baby
should be fine.  Mine were induced at 34 and 36 weeks. The 34 week one had
some respiratory distress among other things and was in the NICU for a week
and a half. The 36 week one was only in NICU for two days and only for
hypoglycemia - otherwise she was quite healthy.
Hang in there.

Betsy, age 34, Type 1 27 years, Disetronic 6 yrs, on third pregnancy with
pump and due in June.