[IP] Help--kids, pumps and surgery

Wanted to ask for any help with the following that anyone can offer.

My little girl, Claire age 7, has been pumping 2 weeks now.  I got a phone
call last week from the Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto that they could
schedule a surgery on her cleft palate for May 2, a possible date was
supposed to be later in the summer, but nursing shortages have forced surgery
cancellations and they wanted to fit us in when possible.

We had a second surgery on her palate 3 years ago, one year after DM onset
and it was the worst nightmare of my life (it was done at a much smaller
regional hospital).  Palate surgery requires a clear fluid diet for one day
and a full fluid diet for a further 2 - 3 days and then only soft foods for a
few weeks.  At the last surgery they used infused insulin with the IV and
could not get the rate right--either she dropped too fast or climbed high and
the bg checks every hour are awfully hard on little kids.  Then when she went
back to her needles...well you can imagine injecting NPH and trying to keep
bgs up all night when you can only have popsicles and no complex carbs. I did
much better with her when back at home after one week in hospital.

So I thought with a pump, this type of surgery would go much easier.  Well,
the hospital just phoned and said no dice, to keeping the pump on during or
after surgery.  Their endos would take care of her and said that she had to
have an IV infusion with insulin the entire post-op time, which this
coordinator told me meant her entire hospital stay.   The endo in charge of
her would be the doctor that refused to give us a pump in November, thus
forcing us to go to a different hospital.  Now I am absolutely positive that
the pump would be the best thing--you can still get IV fluids, but your
insulin can be quickly adjusted as the need may be.  I don't understand how
the doctor can't see that too.

Now I am forced to cancel any possible surgery if I can't somehow change
their minds.  I will be phoning our new Endo to see what she can do.  But I
wouldn't go through that experience again without a pump, though I would
agree to disconnecting for the first 24 hours.  I have to add that this
plastic surgeon is the best in the country, and this is the only hospital I
would consider having the surgery done at.  The operation is only required
because the second one, my nightmare experience, was all for nought.

Any advice or help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7.