[IP] how i handle protein

In a message dated 4/23/01 8:58:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> !!
> For me, the schedule is to take the second bolus 2 hours after the meal
> -- it means that it will peak just as the previous bolus is just about
> finished, and is, in effect, giving me a second peak 4 hours after
> eating, which is when I need it for protein. Or perhaps it's a square
> wave that commences 2 hours after eating and finished 6 hours after

what i do is i bolus for my carbs and then one hour after my bolus, i set a
temp basal for 50% higher than my current basal.... so if i'm 0.8 i go to 1.2
for four to six hours!  i guess you could figure out how much that would be
over six hours, ie, 2.4 units and square it over 6 hours so it gets released
with the normal basal.....either way it works for me :O)  it's like it starts
working three hours after i eat so that into the fourth hour when i start to
rise, it's starting to take effect to help it!  then if i need a correction
bolus, it seems to work jsut fine whereas before it wouldnt even touch my
sugars....again, YMMV!
good luck!

gina, mr clicks (MM508) & mr pokey (FreeStyle meter)
dx'd 11/83..... pumping 2/01 and have never felt better  :O)