Re: [IP] Mom's reactions to my pregnancy

In a message dated 4/23/2001 9:22:24 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Am I supposed to feel guilty now for making my mom worry so much over this
"against advice pregnancy"?  How was I supposed to know she'd been laboring
under this idea all these years?  How many people has she told that I couldn't
have children??  How come no one ever told me??? >>

My mother too was thinking I would not get pregnant because of diabetes and
when I did was not supportive or happy about it. That was painful for me, but
I'm imagining in "her world" that she simply did not want to lose me and
because of erroneous information from the media (Steel Magnolias, etc.) she
thought that she would. People do the strangest things to protect us,
although that is not often the result of their actions. Since my mother lived
in Seattle (she is gone now), she was able to stay away from me for the
entire pregnancy and only showed up about 6 weeks after my daughter was born.

I can understand why you feel the way you do.