[IP] Pregnancy - labor and delivery question

I'm currently only 21 weeks, but I've already started to think (and
stress) about labor and delivery.  I asked my ob at my check-up on Friday
about self-managing my diabetes while in the hospital.  He advised I would
be put on a glucose drip.  I questioned why and he said that because I'll
be in labor for 12-16 hours (it's my first), and since I won't be able to
eat, they need to give me glucose.  Now I know that this is going to be
strenuous (to say the least), but why the need for glucose throughout the
whole thing?  I could suspend the pump, disconnect, or reduce my basal.
If I'm still going low, THEN they can give me the glucose drip.  This is
my thought anyway.  Can't you just see me asking the nurse -- "how many
carbs are in that???"

Any thoughts or personal experiences?

Do You Yahoo!?