At 02:48 PM 4/22/2001 email @ redacted wrote:
 >In a message dated 4/22/01 4:45:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
 >email @ redacted writes:
 >> Humalog is not approved for pump use.
 >it isnt???  why do all the pump companies advertise with it?

Just because the American FDA hasn't specifically approved Humalog for the
pump doesn't mean that it's "illegal" to use it. Any doctor can prescribe
an approved medication for other purposes than what it was originally
approved for. Since Humalog, in general, is approved for doctor's to
prescribe, they can do so for the pump as well. The only reason why it's
not "officially" approved is, that the time and expense to go through the
required flaming hoops are more than the benefits of getting "FDA
approval". All this applies only to the U.S., of course. Other countries
have their own rules and I don't believe that it's even an issue anywhere else.

The bottom line is, don't worry about it. 88% of the people who have filled
out our survey are using Humalog in their pumps.