> Subject: [IP] PZI

> Linda asked what is PZI?
> Protamine Zinc Insulin. I *think* they took it off the market shortly
> NPH was released almost a half century ago. Spot will tell us.
> Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C 3/99)

I was on Protamine Zinc Insulin and Globin insulin from 1954 to 1961.  The
time action of the two insulins more closely matched the kind of meals I ate
on a Canadian diet (I was living in Canada then.)  I moved to  Washington,
DC in 1961 and the only pharmacy that carried Globin insulin was the
military pharmacy in the Pentagon so when a year later  I left Washington to
live in New York, I had to switch to NPH twice a day and lost any sort of
control over my diabetes.  :-(   till I got on the pump three years ago.

Today PZI bovine insulin is available for cats.  It is manufactured by Blue
Ridge Pharmacy  and their PZI info can be obtained at   (800) 374-8006.
Blue Ridge is the only company that manufacturers beef/pork PZI on a
commercial basis. Since this is considered an experimental drug and they are
seeking FDA approval, there are specific guidelines your vet must follow
when ordering and using PZI. The shelf life is longer than PZI produced by
compounders. There is a minimum order of three vials of U-40 PZI, and they
include U-40 syringes.  My cat YOYO did not respond to Humulin U at all but
is doing great on PZI.  The U 40 syringes that come with the insulin are
lousy however (too long and flimsy)so I use my own BD U 100 short needle
syringes using a conversion chart I found on  the Pets with Diabetes
website. No, there are no pumps for cats.  Darn it!
but Yoyo does get to play with my old infusion sets! :-)

Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
Minimed 507  3 years.