Re: [IP] What do I do NOW! (gastroparesis)

Rodney, and anyone else who suffers from gastroparesis -

I realized the other day that I hadn't had any severe nausea, or even
long-lasting mild nausea, in a couple months.  It's funny how it is so easy
to get used to the absence of something like that <gr.> -- it has been a part
of my life for over 15 years, except during the limited periods when reglan
or propulsid was working for me.  I would also say that absorption of food
eaten in the daytime has not been as unpredictable as it sometimes is (it is
harder for me to be clear about this because I am having a lot of hormonal
fluctuation -- but I haven't had any severe lows after meals recently without
there being another explanation).

I have no idea if this would help anyone else, but let me tell you what has
changed for me.  I have limited my fat intake for many, many years, and at
least for the last 10 years since I was diagnosed with heart disease, have
eaten lower fat than AHA guidelines.  But since a period with angina last
fall, I have been eating essentially the Reversing Heart Disease diet that
Dr. Dean Ornish recommends (all vegetarian, only limited fat-free dairy, no
added fat, nothing with saturated fat, very little processed foods).  The
times I get the mild nausea are a few hours after eating the small amounts of
salmon, tuna or other fatty fish that my cardiologist thought was essential
to add to it periodically.  The last time I had the more severe nausea was a
few months ago when I felt it impolite to not eat the meal my hosts had
prepared for me, which was one I would have in the past considered very
healthy (based on vegetables, but had a small amount of chicken and a
reduced-fat white sauce inside the baked white flour crust).  As has been
true for years, the fiber in fresh fruits and vegetables seems to be
necessary for me, but I can have problems with bran, large servings of beans,
and some whole grains, like kamut and wheat berries.

It is really difficult to eat in restaurants, and I routinely offer to bring
a dish when I am invited for a meal (and eat my own at pot lucks).  It is
possible to eat on the road from a grocery store.  It is not something I
could do without the pump -- both from the point of not needing the protein
to cover the delayed insulin peaks, and from the point of only needing to eat
what is available -- even if that is the bowl of undressed iceberg lettuce I
ate one meal while my companions had their lunch (making lunch dates with
people I don't know very well is kind of difficult, too <gr.>).  But I like
vegetables, have a lot of experience now with other things making me sick,
and losing the chest pain and nausea is sufficient motivation to keep to it
despite other inconveniences.

Linda Z