RE: [IP] Insulin nasal spray.....

Elizabeth [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Hmmm....how accurate is it?  How do we know
> how much we
> sniffed up and how much is still slimeing around in our
> nostrils? Plus, for
> you guys out there with hairy nostrils, how are you going to
> get the right
> amount if the hair catches most of it??? (Shave the inside of
> your nose??)
The prototypes I've seen (and that have been used in clinical trials) use
powdered insulin that is made into an aerosol that is then inhaled deeply
into the lungs (via the mouth, not the nose) where it is absorbed.  Kind of
like inhalers for asthma relief.

The drawback (at the time - I don't know about now) is that there was only
one or two concentrations of insulin, so that one would have to administer
it several times to get a single does of insulin.  Also, the equipment is
bulky compared even to carrying insulin vials and syringes.  I suspect it
will really be used only by those with extreme aversion to needles.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR