[IP] BG from Alternate Sites - Therasense Comments

Below I have reproduced some comments I received from Theresense Customer
Service concerning issues with testing BG from alternate sites.
Dear Mr. Jobe,

Thank you for your message and inquiry. It is true that there can be a
difference in the blood glucose levels in different parts of the body. I
cannot verify the "15-20 minute" quote as I do not have information
indicating this.

There are known differences in blood glucose levels in different parts of
the body, which can in turn, yield blood glucose different blood glucose
test results. This kind of discrepancy can occur in some people when blood
glucose is changing rapidly, ie. After food, insulin, or possibly exercise.
It is only a problem for some people, and then only when the glucose is
changing rapidly.

This is not some sort of problem with FreeStyle; the finger and other test
sites really are slightly different under some conditions.

For greater consistency in test results, we recommend the following:

Wash and dry the test site (fingers, fleshy part of hand, forearm, upper
arm, thigh and calf) thoroughly so that it is clean and free of lotions,
perfume, food etc.

Rub the test site briskly to stimulate circulation.

Lance and apply sample. A single action of wicking an adequate sample into
the strip is desirable. However, when applying the sample to the strip, you
may re-apply blood, if needed, to the strip for up to 60 seconds after the
Apply Sample message has appeared.

While a new sample for each test is desirable, multiple tests can be taken
from a single sample. The amount of time lapsed between each test is
critical though, as the blood sample may begin to evaporate and coagulate,
which could result in a higher glucose reading.
Time between tests is also a consideration for results obtained from new

If you are still experiencing variations in results from another test site
and the finger, you could use the finger whenever blood glucose is changing
rapidly. You may still use the other test sites (fleshy part of hand,
forearm, upper arm, thigh and calf) for fasting measurements.

I hope this information is helpful. I wish I had a piece of literature to
send you on this topic, but it is not yet available.

Thank you again for your message.

Denise Wright
TheraSense Customer Service