[IP] Question about surgery?

As I sit here one hour after the bewitching MIDNIGHT (surgery on my left hand
is scheduled for 11:30 am this morning) I have a weird question.  Why is it
that when I have had surgery scheduled at 7:30 am, I had to stop eating and
drinking after midnight and today I am to have surgery almost 4 hours later,
why is the cut off time always midnight?  Seems like I should have until 4 am
this time.  As you can tell, I am not a medical professional.

I will hopefully be able to drag myself down to the computer (in our basement
family room) sometime on Thursday.  By then I will be the one armed bandit,
so won't be moving across the keyboard very quickly!

Wish me luck!  For some unknown reason, this time (Fifth time I have had
surgery on my hands) for some reason I am apprehensive.  I pray that within a
week my hand feels better.  The pain, swelling, and the locking of my trigger
finger is just harder for me to bear this time.