[IP] Poem for Moms of "sweet kids"

How GOD Selects the MOTHER of a CHILD with Diabetes

by Erma Bombeck

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social
pressures and a couple by habit.

Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with Diabetes are chosen?

Somehow I visualize God hovering over earth selecting his instruments for
propagation with great care and deliberation. As He observes, He instructs His
angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth; son. Patron saint...give her Gerard. He's used to

"Forrest, Marjorie; daughter. Patron saint, Cecelia."

"Rutledge, Carrie; twins. Patron saint, Matthew."

Finally He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a child with

The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She's so happy."

"Exactly," smiles God, "Could I give a child with Diabetes to a mother who
does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

"But has she the patience?" asks the angel.

"I don't want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of
self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she'll handle

"I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence that is so
rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her
has her own world. She has to make her live in her world and that's not going
to be easy."

"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you." God smiles, "No matter, I
can fix that. This one is perfect - she has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps - "selfishness? Is that a virtue?"

God nods. "If she cannot separate herself from the child occasionally, she
will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less
than perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied.

"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see...ignorance, cruelty,
prejudice....and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will
be at her side every minute of every day of her life, because she is doing My
work as surely as if she is here by My side".

"And what about her Patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid-air.

God smiles, "A mirror will suffice."