[IP] Exchange Plan History

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:04:21 -0500, "J Hughey" <email @ redacted>
> In 1950 the exchange plan was developed

Maybe it was 1950 when the ADA announced it, but in January 1943 my
mother and I were given lists that were essentially the same as what
became known as Exchange Lists. They had quantities in grams so all
items on a particular list were equivalent. The diet perscription was
for a specified number of servings from each of several particular
lists, depending on which meal. Nothing was said about exchanging
between lists. Each list had an identifying name and a percentage of
carbohydrate, which I never figured out how to use. The lists that we
started with came from the dietitian at the hospital where I was
diagnosed. They weren't called exchange lists or exchange plan, but
nearly all of what came out in 1950 was being used before 1943.