[IP] History of Insulin

Ginny wrote:
> But I remember sunday dinners at their house were really loaded with food
and he would get so sleepy after he ate- I never understood why. >

My family always laughed at me because I always fell asleep at the end of
every TV movie. NOW *I* know why: The meal high was hitting me. You talked
about boiling the syringes. I think we did just a couple of times - we just
soaked them in rubbing alcohol - 70% until a pharmacist told me it made DMers
go blind and we should use 90%. I still have the creamed herring jar with
replacement lid from Jif Peanut Butter for the soaking. Displayed them at the

I have a nephrologist's app't this afternoon, and you asked about
prior-to-insulin history. Jan (StillLow) has a book published in 1923 that
mentions insulin but at that time didn't know how beneficial it would be for
DMers. I have the *Ladder Diet* from her book that was used during the first 2
decades of 1900 that I'll post later today. I printed it out onto blue
cardstock and attached popsicle stick/matchstick ladders to them with a
cottonball cloud and gave them out at the BASH. They were to remind us how far
we have climbed.

My half-century of this has sure seen a lot of changes. I'm glad I got in when
the exchange system started (1950). Prior to that it was percentages of CHO,
Fat, Protein.

He was either the biggest fool there ever was, the biggest liar there ever
was, or He told the truth. PTL, He is risen!