Re: [IP] Questions about surgery with the pump

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:20:38 -0500 "Scott Akers" <email @ redacted>
>My doctor just informed me that I need surgery to repair a hernia. I haven't
>talked with a surgeon yet, but am wondering what kind of things I need to ask
>him? I'd love to hear about others' experiences with their pump during
>surgery. I'm a little nervous as I've never had surgery before.

On 7/13/00 I had laparoscopic surgery for a bilateral inguinal hernia.
I reported on it in this list in several messages in late June and
throughout July. I'm sure it depends on what kind of hernia you have,
and what particular surgical procedure you will have, but if
laparoscopic surgery is an option available to you I strongly
recommend it. That was my first surgery **with a pump** but I had
several other surgeries before the pump. With the pump you can keep
your blood glucose in a high-normal range during the surgery. Without
a pump they will force your blood glucose into the 300-400 area.
There's no comparison. The pump is so much better.

Get your endo to take the lead, and if necessary, to educate the
surgeon and the anesthesiologist about the pump. Since you don't have
a specific surgeon yet, be sure to find one that will let you use the
pump during surgery.

Please feel free to contact me via email or via this list with any
other questions you have.

Tom Beatson
Age 68, dx 1942, pumping since 7/95.