[IP] Cure for 1 Also a Cure for 2?

I know next to nothing about Type 2 (and have only been learning about type 1
in the last 5 months since Katie was diagnosed), but it seems to me that (at
least in most cases), a "cure" for one won't be a "cure" for the other . . .
i.e. The Edmonton trials -- it doesn't seem to me that this kind of cure
wouldn't really help Type 2s who are making insulin, but not able to use it
properly . . . Is my thinking correct?  Can some of your knowledgeable ones
help me to understand this better?