Mid-October 1968.  I was noticeably sick 2-4 weeks before dx:  up 3-5x per
night to use the bathroom, drinking copious amounts of water, eating like a
pig, and still lost 14 pounds in just as many days (oh, if it were only so
easy now!!!).  Got violently ill the night before I saw the doc, was so weak
going to the doc - we were military and there was a looong staircase up the
ped office - that I had to stop twice while climbing to rest and catch my
breath!  My bp was so low that they couldn't find a vein in my arm to do a
blood test - finally got a sample by doing a femoral stick.

As an aside, I had a serious viral infection about 6 years
pre-diagnosis...IMHO, I think it took that long for all the damage to be
wrought to my pancreas and I finally just failed and went quickly downhill.

Kathy Fagan
dx 10/68, pumping 12/82