[IP] Interested in some thoughts about time of diagnosis.....

I know that to most it is not important as to why I have diabetes,, but for
some reason to me it really bothers me.... Let me start at the beginning...I
became pregnant in 1992 .. Pregnancy went pretty well, although I did NOT
have that sugar test, where you have to drink the sweet yucky stuff.. I
recall my doctor stating that I didn't need it, since I had no family history
of diabetes.. I had my daughter Feb. 1993... I gained a lot of weight during
pregnancy, went from 106 lbs, to 170 lbs.. I lost weight fairly easy after
the birth of my daughter...Thought i had "good" genes...  But I ended up in
the hospital in March of 1994, dxed with IDDM at 23 years old.  I had
symptoms for a while probably like December or January, I can't remember.
Like I said I have NO family history of diabetes, I don't recall being sick
prior to diagnosis... Is it possible I could have been diabetic during
pregnancy??  My daughter wasn't a large baby...7lb 6oz.. But I am ashamed to
admit it, I smoked while pregnant...  I just can't seem to make any
connection of what possibly triggered the diabetes.. it just doesn't make a
lot of sense to me. But I supposed a lot of us feel this way.. Anyone with
any thoughts on this?
MM 508