[IP] Breastfeeding Questions

In a message dated 4/13/2001 8:02:36 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> At first I had just decided not to since I will have to go back to
>  work full-time after about 7 or 8 weeks. But now I've been thinking again.
> Someone
>  told me that it's better for the baby even if you only do it for a short
> time than
>  not at all, and that you can even just breastfeed at morning and dinner
> you
>  have to work. Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can you train
> body
>  to produce just when it's convenient??  I really can't see me wanting to
> excuse
>  myself at work and go pump milk all the time.  I'm lucky to even get a
> break
>  or potty break sometimes.

Basically, any amount of breast milk -- especially in the early weeks/months
-- will be of benefit to Baby-Zilla.  And, because, the milk production
system works pretty much on a supply and demand basis, you could very easily
move from f.t. breastfeeding while on leave to only nursing night and morning
after returning to work ( I did this with my first child as I was the
breadwinner in the family and had a very demanding job).  Those 2-3 times a
day (before and after work) nursing sessions were not only good for my
daughter, they were also a wonderful way to reconnect after being gone for 10
hours (very relaxing and nurturing for both mom and baby!) . . . When you go
back to work, you *may* have a few slightly uncomfortable days (feeling
"full"), but your body will adjust quickly.  If you want to try pumping, the
most important thing is to get (they will rent them!) a really good "hospital
grade" pump that lets you pump form both sides a once.  I had one friend who
pumped once a day at work for over a year and got very efficient -- over 8 oz
in 10 minutes.  Of course, YMMV . . . You have to figure out what works for
you and your baby.  But I'd encourage you to at least go for breast feeding
while you are on maternity leave -- you can always stop once you back to work
if that's what's right for you . . . I don't think that nursing will affect
your carb *ratios* but you will need more calories (especially when nursing
F.T.) so you'll (of course) need more insulin to cover that.  Good luck to