[IP] Giving Blood

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:34:31 -0400
From: "Handsfield, James H." <email @ redacted>
Subject: RE: [IP] can we give blood?

Maureen M. [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I'm sure Spot or someone can tell me--and I'm sure
> someone on
> this huge list has given blood, right? If I can give it, do I have to
> disclose the diabetes? If I do give it, and my blood sugar is
> high, does
> that mean whoever receives my blood gets a high blood sugar?
> Would their
> pancreas correct this? What if they were diabetic?

I donate regularly (3+ gallons) - every eight to ten weeks if I can.  HbA1c
has nothing to do with donating blood, nor does blood sugar level at the
time of donation.  Disclosure of diabetes is actually indirect in that one
of the questions is whether you are under medical care for any condition not
mentioned in the list.  If you are taking insulin, they will ask if you have
used beef insulin since 1985 (I think that's the date), in which case you
would be disqualified because of the fear of CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease,
AKA Mad Cow Disease).

Probably anyone with significant complications should not donate, but other
than that, there's no reason not to.  One other contraindication is re-using
syringes for insulin administration . . . but they're not allowed to ask.

This appears to be further restricted in some localities, but there's no Red
Cross or federal regulation against blood donation by diabetics.  If you go
and are refused, ask them to show you the regulation that prohibits your

BTW, they really like to see me come because I am known to be
cytomegalovirus  (CMV) free, which means my blood can be used for infants.
Most adults have CMV, and it causes them no harm, but it can cause serious
disease in infants.  That means that my blood gets special treatment, big
fancy labels, etc., and they're really nice to me.  8-)

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR

house operates by the same rules as mine: Yes we can give blood. they ask
about needle reuse  Insulin of animal origin etc buit "if you are in good
control" on the pump you can give. Whatever good control is. We cannot be
apheresis donors because of the possibility of a site infection infecting
the blood. If you have a mate who is a possible donor suggest they become an
apheresisis donor so that they can donate platelets and white cells. I have
given several times.