Re: [IP] insulin not enough?

Perhaps this person knows more than you realize.  Most diabetics (both Types)
develop some sort of insulin resistance after having the disease for a long
time.  ('Long Time' as not been defined yet...some it happens in just a few
years, some 15 years, and some never develop it.  Remember, our insulin is
not produced by our own bodies and does not match our makeup 100%...it is
foreign to our bodies and after years it may become ineffective.)  This is
why adult Type I's that were diagnosed when children are now being prescribed
certain oral hypoglycemics.  Endocrinologists use drugs such as Glucophage to
help control the amount of basal insulin needed...it controls the amount of
endogenous glucose released in to the bloodstream by the liver.  There is
nothing we can do ourselves to control this release from our liver.  I
personally take 2000 mg of Glucophage because of my insulin resistance and
was able to cut my total daily dose by almost 65% over the past 2 years.  I
would rather take less insulin that the doses that I was taking just 2-3
years ago.

Perhaps this person was stating something in reference to that.

(And before people jump on my case and try to say that since the Glucophage
has been so effective for me that I do not have Type I...I most certainly do
have Type I...got the antibodies and was diagnosed at age 11 with all of the
classic symptoms.  Sometimes certain drugs are used to treat other conditions
that what they were originally approved for.  It is the MD's discretion as to
what they prescribe a drug for.  That's what they went to school for.)

Roxanne Villanueva  RD, LD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail:    email @ redacted

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore