Re: [IP] Re: DST - for Darrin

>Oh Darrin,
>    I do hope that things settle down for you.  I have been worried about you
>for a few days now, I knew there was something wrong,  because your normally
>perfect postings began to have typos in them.
>    I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions as I've no experience with
>pumping.  But I can say that I HATE changing to DST too.  My kids have only
>been at school 2 days this week, time changes just wipe them out.  We should
>all be like Saskatchewan and not change our clocks!
>Barbara, Mum of Claire, pumping soon

Hi Barbara!

Thanks so much for your kind concern.  I am touched.  (Really).  Hope all
is well for you.

I don't know what to type other than I feel like a child that has been off
sulking for seven days.  When I said "off-line" I meant from everything.
Almost like a vacation after four years of hell.  Except I worked on DM -
is that still a vacation?

I lurked the new postings on IPlist but dedicated the last seven days to
trying to catch up on my personal stuff, like getting together a travel
kit, designing a sport belt and case for the pump, getting the
rollercoaster under control and do fasting basals.  NO work (not that it
has ever paid me anyways).  Put others' needs on hold.  I ramble on because
I feel  you and a number of kind others deserve a response.  I have learned
a number of things in the past week, though:

-Numerous things (personal, family, DM, pump (waterproofness issue), work
and old corporate draggings-ons have been bothering me much more than I
thought.  I guess, eating at me.

- been working far more than I thought.  In the past week "off" I've
accomplished very little personally except to design a better
sport/swimming belt for the pump which I cannot have made until my beta
pump comes back from D and they've had it for three weeks now for
inspection!  No more 16 hour days.

-the waterproof issue with the pump has been on my mind more than I
thought.  As each week drags on and yet no solution nor alternative from D;
I get more worried about teh upcoming season.  Thsi summer I either enjoy
my watersports with the pump and risk fatal O/D as I'm usually out a few
hours in the ocean and away form most people for several hours or find
$5,000 for an Animas or give up 100% of the socialization and recreation in
my life.  What a choice.

-my body adapted to the time change after about 10 days.  The rollercoaster
slowed and stopped.  I did reset the pump to standard time but as the week
continued it became obvious that the need to change it to DST was required
but again, it took 10 days for my body to change!  This is probably related
to my sleep hormone problem.  My internal clock is out of sync permanently
and the sleep clinic says it's useless to fight it.  To accept that I'll
never fit into "normal society".  I'm a bat.

-did fasting basals to cover the entire clock over & over and am really
tired!  Only people like you can understand this.  Made a few minor
adjustments which I suspected long ago needed to be made but nothing major.

-most importantly I learned that I am now more sensitive than ever to bg's
over 7 (120) or below 3.5 (60)!  The effects on my mind and emotions have
been repeated on a number of occasions.  Anywhere below normal range and I
get real moody and go into a rage.  Above 120 and I get depressed.  A 100%
about-face as far as moods go in as little  as minutes.  Problem is; any
length of time spent above 120 and I slip into severe depression.  Guess
what I need is some sort of short-acting anti-depressants to cover the
hours bg is returning to normal range.

So, the bg's are back in line but now I know for sure any major highs or
long amount of time spent over 120 and I'm not fit to participate in human
society.  this is why I took myself out of it last week.  Lose all control.

Next fall should be easier as I now know to allow 10 days to make the
switch and to expect the emotional and physical instability.  Still; I feel
as though I cannot rely on myself to participate in society where my
emotions can go wild at anytime the bg is over 120 or below 60.

Sorry for the long explanation.  I guess part of it is getting it straight
in my head.  I thank God for great people like you who can understand!
Thanks!  So, knowing this just how do I find a girlfriend?  A real job?  Be
100% reliable all the time?  Perfect control seems to be the key but if
summer is spent on MDI due to D's pump waterproofness issues that all goes
out the window!

Still puzzled.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!

To date:   51% improvement in average bg's & 80% fewer hypos.