Re: [IP] Excess insulin = high A1cs?

In a message dated 4/12/01 11:01:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Since she was a home sick I thought to test her BG more often. Low and
> behold she is going low 1 to 1 = hours post meals. This is on a day where

okay....this also happens to me!  when i eat and bolus, my sugars ONE HOUR
after i eat are usually pretty low or sometimes even lower than what i
started with before i ate!  then at two hours post prandial, my sugars will
go up.........
my two suggestions/thoughts:
1)  there is some gastroparesis going on;
2)  the meal she ate could have had high fat or protein in it which is
delaying the digestion of her carbs!
when i eat high-fat meals, i wait an hour after my last bolus and then i up
my basal rate by about 50% for 4-6 hours and it seems to really help.  i may
still go high later, but at least my correction boluses work right away,
whereas when i dont do the temp basal increase, i can give and give boluses
to correct a high and they dont even seem to touch them!
does she have gastroparesis at all?  does this happen at other meals?

just my thoughts.......

gina & mr clicks (MM508)
dx'd 11/83..... pumping 2/01 and have never felt better  :O)