Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest prefilled cartridges and air inthem

We too have been unhappy with the prefilled cartridges, for this and a more
serious reason.  Four cartridges, from 2 boxes (but the same production lot)
leaked insulin from around the rubber gasket in the bottom of the cartridge.
The first time it happened, my daughter had inserted a new cartridge and we were
perplexed that priming was taking so long.  After 3 primes, I said something
brilliant like "this insulin must be going somewhere, I don't see it."  She (the
much brighter 11 year-old) took off the adapter, pulled out the cartridge, and
we literally poured insulin out of the cartridge housing.  Insulin was streaming
out of the cartridge from around the gasket.  After spending hours trying to dry
out the pump with a hand-held fan and other efforts, we thought we were
successful with a new cartridge.  The next day we saw condensation in the
cartridge window, fanned again, and changed cartridges.  Four cartridges later
over about a week, I finally saw the light and started filling them manually.

Sadly, the pump stopped working one Sunday afternoon.  Disetronic replaced it
immediately.  Lilly sent us coupons for 2 vials of insulin (to replace the 2
boxes of cartridges).  But I'm dismayed that the promise of convenience came
with such a cost.  It really was nice just to pop in a cartridge.  And, given
our insurance co-pay, the prefilled were much cheaper than a vial of insulin +
the empty cartridges & disetronic filling supplies.  I get a vial of insulin for
$7 and can fill 3 cartridges from 1 vial.  The prefilled come 5 cartridges to a
box for the same price $7.

I don't want unnecessarily to alarm folks.  Lilly may just have had a bad batch
of cartridges.  But I don't think I'll ever test them again.
Regards,
Michele Sumara (mom of Isabel age 11 dx 7/91 pumping since Dec, and Sam, age
10).