[IP] Ketone Question

Several days in the past couple of weeks I have woke up with high sugar
levels. (350 - 400) My levels the night before were in the 120-136 range.
With about 6-7 hours sleep. I would think I had crashed during the night & it
was a rebound. Except I don't have "that" headache & when I check for ketones
they are in the small range. I have very seldom had ketones. I keep a close
watch on this as I only have 1 kidney. Seems to me that if there are ketones
it must be a lack of insulin. Not a rebound. Any thoughts?