Re: [IP] Professional advice (LONG)

> Luckily, attitudes change.  My peds endos at Arkansas Children's
> Hosp were anti-pump just a few years ago.  They are now very
> pro-pump.
> A quote from a review in Pediatrics in Review from 1997:  "Because
> young children may be more sensitive to severe hypoglycemia, and
> this group was not evaluated specifically in the DCCT, questions
> remain of whether the risk of recurrent hypoglycemia is too great to
> justify advocating intensive management protocols in very young
> people who have diabetes."  I beleave the fear of severe hypos is
> the driving force behind some of the sayings from the medical
> community.  Hopefully, some researcher will look at this area soon.

Aahhhh!!!  they are. I know that the Yale people Tamborlane, Aherns,
et-al are about to publish data supporting pumps and young kids as
part of a continuing study and I believe there are other studies
under way as well elsewhere. The growing list on the KIDS page of the
web site is testimony to the success of pumps for our children. Since
the average age of diagnosis for our WHOLE GROUP is about 10-12 years
old, this is good news for everyone.