Re: [IP] Waterproof Letter dor D-Ready for U

--On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 11:26 AM -0400 Ginny Kloth
<email @ redacted> wrote:r
> When I got my H-Tron Disetronic pump it was stressed to me it was not
> water proof. > This was 5 yrs ago. > I have to ask if somones pump
housing has cracks in it from dropping it or
> whatever cause WHY would you keep using it knowing the pump function could
> be compromised?

Unlike ginny, when I got my pumps 6 years ago that was a major selling
point that they were waterproof, and one of the main reasons I chose it. I
am just as upset as mmany others about my disetronic not being considered
waterproof anymore., and I'm not saying this to defend disetronic, but as I
have posted several times, every time i have sent my pump in for a 2 year
inspection (three different times now)  it was replaced because they found
cracks in the housing. Despiute my close inspection I had never detected
any cracks. So ThE CRACKs ARE NOT ALWAYS OBVIOUS to the naked eye. However,
I have never had any pump malfunctions due to the cracks they discovered -
and I have used my pump often in the water - both showering and swimming.

ginny, when they told you that it was not a waterproof pump, what was their
recommendation for dealing with the pump while showering or doing
watersports? I know Minimed offers a waterproof case for using their pump
in water, but as far as I know there is nothing similar for the disetronic.
Did they give you an option besides using a disconnecting type of set and
disconnecting and using injections while disconnected?  I find it upsetinng
because if we found injections a good way to manage our blood sugars most
of us wouldn't be on the pump in the first place

Betsy, age 34, Type 1 27 years, Disetronic 6 yrs, on third pregnancy with
pump and due in June.