Re: [IP] Professional advice (LONG)

My response was not to your specific e-mail, but to the tone on the listserv
that we professionals with all the alphabet soup after names are wrong.  I
agree with you that this CDE was 'out on cloud nine.'

For help in setting him straight, I would recommend that you check out the
DCCT trial info...I can't remember the specifics about the study other than
the general information that stated that the lower the HgbA1c, the less
likely the development of complications.  So I would extrapolate that
controlling BG levels during childhood would only benefit this.

What he may have been trying to state but did so poorly is to let the kids be
kids...if their numbers are not 'perfect' it is a part of growing.  In other
words 'let them eat some candy, etc., if they want to.'  Maybe he doesn't
understand that with Carb counting, keeping BG levels under control can be
achieved even if a child eats candy everyday [not that I recommend this for
anybody (DM or non-DM, children or adults, it can still cause cavities!]

Roxanne Villanueva  RD, LD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail:    email @ redacted

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore