Re: [IP] Professional advice (LONG)

Just as many feel that our credentials mean nothing...we professionals also
cannot believe the ignorance an unwillingness to listen to our advice
exhibited by many people.  I see this in my own practice as well as evidenced
by a majority of contributors to this listserv.  A lot of the
'misinformation' out there is started by non-professionals.

We have our credentials because we CHOSE a course of learning.  MANY
healthcare professionals are in their fields because of an illness within
their family, if not one they themselves have.  Most have had some gratifying
experience with another healthcare professional.  Many Moms attend nursing
school after their preemie baby received excellent care and is now a healthy
thriving child.  Many doctors have watched cancer, diabetes, leukemia, etc.,
ravage a family member while the MD was still a child and have made the
decision at such a young age to 'be a doctor when I grow up.'

No one on this list has seen the CDE exam (or the RD, or any other medical
credentialing exam for that matter,) unless they are indeed one who has
passed or failed it.  I have taken the 'practice' questions on the CDE
website and they are not as easy as many list-members would think.  You have
to rely on your knowledge of the disease itself as well as go back to your
professional training to recall stuff that you never though anyone would ask
you again.  PERSONAL EXPERIENCE does not count towards sitting for the CDE
exam...look at the practice questions.  I am sure many of you may not
completely understand what is being asked...the medical stuff not related to
Diabetes IS VERY COMPLEX.  And being a CDE is to know that stuff.  I
personally would never have gone to a CDE who did not have a medical
background (even if I was not a medical professional.)

Having the initials...or alphabet soup as I refer to mine...DOES MEAN
SOMETHING.  It means that we (1) graduated from an accredited program for
whatever we studied; (2) passed our profession's credentialing exam; (3) that
we are eligible to take other credentialing exams; (4) that we are experts in
our field.  Many of us specialize...I am specializing in Nutrition Support
(tube feeding and IV feeding for people whom are unable to swallow or to
consume nutrition as you and I do,) as well as planning to start work towards
the CDE requirements.  Many physicians specialize...such as in endocrinology,
cardiology, nephrology, or neurology.  These healthcare professionals must
also maintain continuing education requirements.  So don't assume that since
I graduated 7 years ago that I am teaching my patients using a knowledge base
that is 7 years old.  Dietitians must submit learning plans, have them
approved, and only then can we keep our credential after our initial
examination.  We must have 75 hours during every 5 year cycle...and many of
us Dietitians receive MUCH more than that number (I personally have about 120
already.)  And you may go to an education session for 8 hours but only
receive 4 education units towards your 75 minimum.

By the way...the American Dietetic Association does not create it's own
examinations...there are completely separate organizations that by law must
be used to create the exams.  An organization cannot create it's own test and
standards to obtain it's credentials.  The organization for the Dietetic
Registration is 'The Commission on Dietetic Registration.'  All medical
professions have this type of an arrangement.

Would you really go to a physician that does not carry the 'MD' or 'DO' after
their name?  Or a dentist that didn't have 'DDS' as a credential?  Or a
Dietitian that did not have 'RD' and in most states 'LD/CDN/CD' after their
name?  Would you want a 'nurse' taking care of you in the hospital or would
you prefer on with the designation of 'RN or LPN'?  Would you want your
children being taught by an unlicensed teacher?

We are professionals and we do know what we are talking about.  Some may not
be as good at presenting in front of group sessions as others are.  And
sometimes it's better to allow the patient to appear wrong in their
statements in a group setting to avoid the 'sparring match,' that we get when
a patient will not budge from their train of thought.

Just some food for thought.

Roxanne Villanueva  RD, LD
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
e-mail:    email @ redacted

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore