Re: [IP] complications in children

  I had a similar experience with an RN, who mostly worked with cancer ADULT
patients but was asked by the patient education head to lead a support group
for kids.  BIG MISTAKE and we parents did a good job of letting them know
this!!  This guy went on and on about SUGAR use and chemicals in the foods
and started talking about naturapathy medicine and natural foods and natural
sweetner choices, etc, etc, etc...  He was basically talking to the average
age of a 9 year  old, he started out by indicating the the over use of sugar
in today's society is probably what is causing the increase in
diabetes...well by this point I was foaming at the mouth.  So I stopped him
and asked him what HIS background was and he told me.   Then I asked him what
he knew about diabetes, especially IDDM and he said his only background for
that was being around some adults every once in awhile.  I then asked him
what research he had done since being asked to lead this group and he said
NONE!!!!  At this point this RN...LEADER basically started to change the
subject and try and get these kids to talk about themselves.  All of us
parents that were there for this meeting contacted the pat. Edu guy and told
him our beef.  Said if you can't find someone who knows something about the
subject then don't bother!!!  Thank goodness the parents of most of these
kids were really good at explaining to their DM child that this person didn't
know anything about diabetes and was just lost for something to say!!!

  But I will tell you this, our endo has told us that until puberty kicks in
and those raging hormones start to take over that complications will not be a
factor.  But that this early childhood time period is the best time to really
be working on routine and tighter control so that whent he child does hit
puberty they won't have to experience a major life change, as far as their
diabetes is concerned.  BUT once puberty starts to show up it will be VERY
important to work harder at keeping highs at bay because they WILL start to
affect them at that point!

It really is frustrating!!

mom to Joshua