[IP] complications in children

Last night my husband and I went to a support group at our local children's
hospital. One of the CDE's (he also is a pediatric nurse practitioner) was
up in front of the parents talking about how children don't get
complications until after puberty and he stated that complications don't
start until children are 20 years old. He said that there is some sort of an
umbrella that protects children. He also said that good control doesn't
matter until you are 20 and the puberty protects children's from
complications. The only thing to watch for is lows. At this point I was
ready to strangle him. He also said that an A1c of 8.6 was fine for teens
and that the doctors feel if teens are at that  A1c they are doing great.

Well... Eve's doctor at this same hospital/clinic thinks that her A1c of 8.6
is too high.

I was very DISAPPOINTED that a trained professional would say this. All the
parents took this hook, line and sinker. I'm still seething from this, this

Does anyone have any sites, studies or research that I could send him?

I really feel that he is doing these parents a disservice by telling them
this. I know for a FACT that teens get complications b/c a friend of mine in
high school that had diabetes had many complications at the age of 15.

Sorry for  the vent so early in the morning.

Still upset about this,

Deborah mom to Eve 13.75
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99