[IP] Re:Gatorade

In a message dated 4/10/01 1:18:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  My doctor (Primary Care
 Physician, Cardiologist) told me to drink Gatorade while walking to replace
 the lost minerals. I then asked him wouldn't this be bad for me considering
 the amount of carbs that Gatorade has, he was not able to answer that.
 My question is does anybody drink Gatorade or the equivalent when working
 out?  If so, do you dilute it with water?  Do you know if there is a
 substitute with less carbs?  Is it better for Diabetics to eat fruit such
 as a Banana afterward and bolus for it?
Our Endo just informed us that our daughter should be drinking Gatorade while
playing sports.  She came down with a stomach virus right after a soccer game
recently.  When we finally got her sugar back up the next morning, she had
large ketones and that's when we called the Endo.  Even knowing athletes
drink gatorade, we never thought our diabetic child should. I always thought
it was very high in carbs too, but really it isn't.  14carbs for 8oz.   So
now we take it with us to every game.

Amanda's mom   dx at age 3 1/2  4-97   pumping 7-99