[IP] Travel to Paris

I'm living in the suburbs of Paris and I lived "downtown" for many years,
so I know whereof I speak. I'm sorry l missed the original post, but I'll
jump in here to make some clarifications.

Carl Findeiss wrote:
>Remember most of europe insulin is U40 - NOT u100 ...

Actually, most of Europe is U-100. France was one of the holdouts, but
switched to U-100 a year ago. The U.K., Germany, Switzerland have all been
U-100 for a long time. I've never bought anywhere else in Europe so far.

>Also, get aquainted with the other way to measure blood sugar(mmdl/mol?)

Why? Take your own meter and keep testing the way you always do. Besides,
*both* units are used here. I still speak in mg/dl to my French doctor.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 6, pumping tomorrow wrote:
>We found that Diet drinks (except Diet coke) are non-existent in France.

Not true. The choice is restricted to Diet Coke (called "Coca Light" here)
or Diet Pepsi (called "Pepsi Max" or "Pepsi Light") or Diet Orangina
(called "Orangina Light"). Diet drinks are not served in every restaurant
and are not sold in *every* cafi, but they're really pretty easy to find.
Every vending machine in the metro sells Diet Coke (12 F for 50 cl -- about
8 oz.).

>Also, it is a very white bread culture

Couldn't be "battier", unless you're just talking about what tourists find
on their plate. France is bakery paradise and heaven for bread. Any bakery,
and I mean ANY bakery, will have many delicious choices. Rye bread ("pain
de seigle"), wheat bread ("pain de son"), multi-grain bread ("pain aux
cinq/six/sept ciriales"), walnut bread ("pain aux noix"), and country bread
("pain de campagne") are standard varieties available everywhere. If it's a
bakery ("boulangerie"), it's all fresh and made on the premises. If it's
made somewhere else and just sold there, the place can't be called a
bakery. (That's the _law_. The French don't kid around about bread.) When
in Paris, discover what *real* bread tastes like.

>I can't remember about the supply of artificial sweeteners

Artificial sweeteners are not _served_ very often, but are sold without
prescription in any supermarket or drugstore. The supermarkets carry
aspartame under the Nutrasweet brand. The pharmacies sell that, as well as
saccharine ("Sun-suc" tablets only -- Sweet 'N Low-type packets are very
hard to find) and several other compounds (none of which I use). If anyone
needs a complete list, let me know. I'll stop by the pharmacy and ask.

>The french often eat their largest meal at lunchtime, and places close
>afterwards.  Thus restaurants may not re-open until 6 pm

Restated: The French often eat their largest meal at lunchtime and eat a
late dinner, and places are rarely open between meals. Thus, restaurants
may only be open from 11:00 - 2:00 and then won't reopen until 7:30 - 8:00
p.m. Dinner before 7:30 p.m. is *only* possible in Paris. In rural France,
dinner is rarely started, even at home, before 8:00.

>I'm sure you will love Paris, it just wasn't any fun with 3 kids, one with

Sorry you were disappointed. Paris is best appreciated when one has the
time to walk unhindered and look. There's a lot of looking to do.

regards, Andy