[IP] Philisophical Quote....

The following is the first paragraph of the Preface from Living Beyond
Limits by David Spiegel, M.D.

Though the background study involved breast cancer, I believe this type of
model can help living with any serious illness, including diabetes.

Some believe that even looking at the "dark side" of anything is a threat
to survival and to them it may well be............

Jim S.
email @ redacted

************************************** beginning of quote

Beauty and tragedy are inextricably interwoven in people with serious
illness. Those with diseases such as cancer can be both heroic and
frightened, generous and selfish; they can transcend death and be conquered
by it. They can indeed "live beyond limits." Cancer and other serious
illnesses impose limits that are undeniable, but that challenge us to live
better in the face of those limits. I have become convinced through twenty
years of clinical work and research that the best way to face the threat of
serious illness is to look it right in the eye, to face the worst rather
than simply to hope for the best. Modern medicine has largely focused on
the physical side of the problem, aggressively attacking the illness, often
ignoring the person who has it. On the other hand, "alternative medicine"
has focused on the person rather than the disease, insisting that it is
simply "mind over matter": Fix it in your mind and the physical problem
will take care of itself. This approach is equally wrong. It is the
interaction of mind and body that matters. Coping with illness is both a
mental and a physical process. We live better not by denying or avoiding
illness, but by bringing our full resources to bear in facing the situation
and living beyond it. Serious illness is a threat to life. A diagnosis of
disease such as cancer seems at first to bring an end to life, but what it
really does is change it. There is life after cancer and heart disease.
What we think and feel is relevant to the course of disease, but it does
not provide us with a straightforward control over it either. In this book
I describe what I have learned from cancer patients about how one can live
fully in the face of illness, how mind and body can work together, how
facing dying can intensify living.

If you must throw stones at me do it privately though I do not guarantee
that I will not post the contents to the list or elsewhere.  I do guarantee
that your identity will not be disclosed.  Throw stones to:
email @ redacted

To those who think otherwise, this address will get messages directly to me...