[IP] Glucowatch & Using CGMS at Pump Start? (long -- as usual <g!>)

We went to our mandatory "Intro. to Pumping" at the Barbara Davis Center on
Friday afternoon.  It's a general class (not specific to any particular pump
brand or model) that covered the basic pros & cons of pumping, showed us all
the various pumps and sets available, had some activities on carb counting,
and went over what is required of us (frequent testing, faxing in logs
daily/weekly, etc.) and what to expect to experience during the pump start
(the first couple weeks to a month).

The final presenter was Dr. Peter Chase (now I know why you families who've
been lucky enough to have him as your doc all love him so much -- he's so
obviously a terrific human being as well as a great doctor & researcher).
After the class we were talking to him about the Glucowatch and the
Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS from Minimed).

We learned that nobody (adults or kids with type 1) in the US should hold
their breath about getting our hands on a Glucowatch because the FDA has only
approved the HAND BUILT Glucowatch sensors (the part that touches the skin --
separate from the "watch" part of the Glucowatch).  Because these are hand
built, the production is really only enough to supply the research
studies/trials.  They do have a factory that is (on a limited basis) making
sensors in a more automated fashion that is now shipping sensors that can be
obtained in Europe.  However, the production levels will have to be
dramatically increased and these factory-built sensors are going to have to
go through trials in the US before they can even consider making Glucowatches
available to the general public here.   8-(

We also talked with him about the idea of using the CGMS (which gives a
report at the end of 3 days of wearing it on what your mean BG level was for
every 5 minute period during those 3 days) as tool to facilitate the pump
start (setting basals, etc.).  He said that, so far, they'd not done this
with kids because they thought it would be just an added stressor to the
already stressful initial pump start period.  However, he indicated that was
something they would likely start doing, in SOME cases.

Katie seemed to like the idea (tho' I'm not quite sure why yet), so we're
going to explore the idea of using the CGMS at her pump start.  The main
reason why they consider it to be a stressful thing is that you have to have
to wear the CGMS "box" and have the CGMS sensor inserted under the skin at a
site seperate from where your pump is -- so it's like wearing two pumps for
those three days, and they *think* that could be especially hard on a child
who's just getting used to wearing a pump in the first place.  I'd love to
get some feedback on the whole "added stressor" concept from any pumpers or
non-pumpers (adult or child) who have used the CGMS.

Thanks in Advance !

Mom to Katie (10) Dx'd 11/00 and awaiting delivery of her Animas pump and
Jason (3)