We live in a small - very remote - community with hospitals over a hour away
- and over mountains passes in any direction.

Kirsten, 9, dx'd 3/95, started on a pump just over a week ago.  Her
intermural basketball coach is the only paramedic in town.  He asked that we
go into the EMT training (which was actually working on diabetic information
that night) to have a show and tell.  These were long time EMT's going
through more training and people preparing to take their first EMT test.  It
was awesome!  They were able to ask questions of both of us and the paramedic
was happy - he couldn't have answered several of the questions and felt he
learned as much as the rest of the class.  Kirsten is also the only person on
a pump in the whole county... they don't get a lot of chances to see pumps!
They feel better about having a little more info and I feel better about what
might happen in case they are called for her.

I thought it might be a nice idea for ambulance crews in your area to hear
from you --

Just an idea.