[IP] Re: babysitters and the pump

email @ redacted writes:

<< Subject: [IP] Babysitters and the pump
 Well, I have to say that a cell phone is the real answer. That way, any
 insulin decisions are made by you. I know it's nice to get away completely,
 and people get annoyed at movies and such, but you know what? It's the only
 way we pump parents can get out! Another thought it to call your local JDRF
 office and ask them for names of young adults or teens on the pump in your
 area -- or ask them to forward your phone # to them. Also, if there is a
 diabetes camp in your area, that could be a source as well.
 We have a teenage daughter, but even with her babysitting Lauren, we insist
 on a phone call for all decisions.
 Good luck!
 Hi, I also wish you good luck with your search.  I've battled with this in
the past and as much as I love the idea of having a responsible
pumper/diabetic as the babysitter, I also wondered what my kids would do if
that babysitter went low or even worse passed out.  So we don't get out much
and when we do we have good old grandmom babysit.  Maybe the best babysitter
would be a teen who's parent has diabetes and knows how to treat a low and
recognize it?????

Anyway, best of luck to you.  We parents do deserve some time off now and
then.......even if it's only a couple hours.