Re: [IP] A sobering thought

  That really is one of the 'problems' with this terrible disease is that,
for the most part, the majority of DMers are.., well..healthy looking from
the outside.  It really is the INVISIBLE disease.  People don't really equate
diabetes as a disease because there are no outward signs.  I think that is
why I like Jan Hughly's poem so much, My Invisible Hat (see her website for
this poem)  She let me print it up and use it in Josh's recent science fair
project board and it got alot of responses.  It really made some of the
adults (elemetary school age kids don't understand that much) think about how
invisible Josh's diabetes really is.
   I think that is also why it is so hard to get more research funding and to
get the medical community to help with advancements, such as the pump,
because they feel that diabetes, for the most part, is all about FOOD!  And
it isn't!  But we all know this.

  Anyway, I don't know where I was planning on going with this but I just
know that I find it ludicrous that persons with diabetes aren't 'sick' enough
for the general public to realize what they are dealing with.  But then, as
the mother of a young DMer child I am glad he ISN'T sicker!

mom to Joshua
Poulsbo, EA