Re: [IP] Vacation: HELP!

We live in south Texas and swimming is a way of life for my family. I am
going to give you the example my Endo and his team (Thr Diabetes and
Glandular Research Center In San Antonio) passed along to me. It has worked
wll for me.
EXAMPLE: You go to Water Park for the day. Tou arrive at 9:30 am. Your basal
rate from 9:30 until 1:30 is 0.8. You calculate basal needed from by
mutiplying 0.8 x 4 hrs=3.2 units needed. Since you will be swimming and
climbing up to water rides, you may decrease up to 50%, so you might give
only 1.6 or so by pump to cover your missed basal..Disconnect pump but do not
put in suspend mode. Either set a temporary basal for 0.0 or 0%(H-trons & D-
trons) or put the tip in a baggie so it doesn't get everything wet. At 1:30
reconnect pump with usual basal. Check BG and calculate amount needed to
cover lunch. After lunch, calculate next 4 hours of basal, adjusting exercise
factor as needed, and repeat as above every 4 hours.
Have a great trip, Jim (The father of a Lauren, also)