Re: [IP] Vent Over Due (long)

In a message dated 4/7/01 11:55:29 AM !!!First Boot!!!, email @ redacted

<< I had someone ask me what I thought Diabetes has taken from
 me.  >>
Brian:  My son is almost 15 and has had diabetes since age 2.  I agree that
diabetes has taken away from him the carefree childhood he could have had.
No matter what activity he is involved in, that darn diabetes is a factor
that always has to be considered.  My son is a gifted golfer.  He will be
travelling to different states this summer for tournaments and I always walk
the 18 holes with him.  His sugars (even with the pump) either go high or low
or both.  How can he go himself?  He has to carry his golfclubs and couldn't
possibly carry all the juice, food, and glucose with him.  Is that fair that
he is not on an equal footing with the other players?  No, but this is the
hand he was dealt, and when he wins a tournament, we are doubly thrilled for
him!  The other non-d. kids don't have that extra worry to think about when
they're playing golf or anything else.
    But...you have to be strong mentally, do the best you can, and be
thankful you don't have any other conditions.  As a pediatric nurse, you've
seen worse, right?  When my son was in the hospital at age 2, I knew that he
would live, unlike the kids in the hospital with leukemia who had a very
uncertain future.  The diabetes has make him more mature and compassionate.
    Do the best you can and take one day at a time.