Re: [IP] Help/advice for a fellow pumper & surgery

At 09:24 PM 4/6/01, you wrote:
>I received the following from a fellow pumper. Please give your input on this
>Jan (~_^)
> > I am having
> > surgery Wednesday, the 11th and my diabetic educator said to take pump
> > off and leave it home still running with a tissue under it to catch
> insulin.
> > This is  done so  not to have to reprogram it. To be an overnight stay
> > or ? I must say I am a little scared to do this, but was told they would
> > watch me and give insulin in IV. I am on MM 508 since 1-5-01. What do
> > you think/ Have you heard of this being done?

My suggestion is to leave the pump on the basal or half basal during the
surgery and allow them to give IV insulin for correction only.  Taking the
person off of the pump may cause more problems because of the loss of the
constant "drip" they get.

Brian Carter
email @ redacted
ICQ # 27217438