Re: [IP] Pain with laser surgery

       I too have had 3 laser surgeries, 2 vitrectomies, and a lensectomy.
Yes, the pain from the laser was so bad, I told my doc that I'd rather have
20 more kids than to do this ever again. (That was after the first one!!!
LOL) What my eye doctor does is give me a shot to "numb" the eye and this
also keeps your eye from moving around during the surgery. Everyone gets this
shot, you can't do the laser without it. Then, the second shot is with
saline. The doctor fills your eye up with it so it will absorb the heat from
the laser. This amount of saline is a lot, it makes you look like you just
got hit by Mike Tyson!!! They don't give you anything to numb you prior to
the first stick. IT HURTS!!! I have a high tolerance for pain but man, give
me a break a person can only take so much.  My father called me after I had
the laser and I told him it was awful. He said, 'Yep, I know, I just had to
have it done to repair a tear on my retina. I'd rather have someone kick me
in the #*(% than to have had that done!!"  I guess he summed it up the best
way! Unfortunately, most of the docs that are performing these procedures
have NEVER had a needle stuck in their eye so they have NO idea how it feels.
Perhaps if they had, they'd be a bit more humane about how they go about
doing things!!!
I'm sorry your sis has to go through this horrible surgery again.
By the way, I'm not trying to scare anyone, just educate them a bit.
All my best,
Elizabeth   >^..^<
dx 10-01-81 (Florida) type 1
Awaiting the arrival of 'Skippy'...