[IP] Pain with laser surgery

Hello fellow pumpers! I need your help. My older sister (a Type I) diagnosed
several years ago has had to undergo 3 eye laser treatments already and is
facing a 4th very soon. The trouble is she days the pain was unbearable! And
yet when she asked the Dr. about something to take before he does this laser
stuff, he said they only can give an injection into or near the eye and it
can have some negative side effects. Afterwards, she says her eye is sore
and tender, like you've been punched, but she needs something to help her
during the laser surgery as some of it can be mild but others are like the
pain from Hell. She tried aspirin, but says it didn't help at all. Can any
of you who have undergone these laser treatments suggest something or
anything to help with the pain? Thanks so much!
Rosemary K.