[IP] IP] Re: Frustrated

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:26:29 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Frustrated

   Melissa hadn't even been on the pump 2 months when she ran into her first
serious site infection. Since I was then working for a dermatologist, I ran
Melissa over to her home where she & her nephrologist husband not only took
care of that problem (prescribing Keflex) but also seriously questioned
whether or not a 13 yr old should even be on a pump. Her hubby was
particularly dismayed because he had never seen a site infection like that
all of his dialysis patients etc etc.
   Fortunately, I listened to my "gut" & persevered, despite 2 more less
serious infections within that first year. Melissa also had LOTS of no
delivery alarms......but when she switched to Silhouettes instead of Sofsets
at the end of that first year, both the infections and the alarms ceased. It
was NOT easy, and that was with seeing her excellent CDE monthly for "pump
tutoring" sessions......
   So thanks for an important reminder post to frustrated "newbies" that not
all of us who seem to "have it made" pump-wise were at that point instantly!
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump mom )
pumping is not a natural activity despite its association with the activity
of eating. the body was not designed to develop diabetes and the artificial
means we humans have designed to circumvent the diabetes problems are
neither intuitive or obvious. learning the pump is not impossible or too
difficult. but pumping does have a steep learning curve.you cant be a
schtumme (dope) and be good at pumping, it takes some gray metter (brain
cells). spot